A Health Visitor is a qualified and Registered Nurse or Midwife who has been specially trained to assess the health of individuals, families and the wider community.
In Oxfordshire they work mainly with families who have children under 5 but also work with older children.
They lead the Healthy Child Programme to ensure a healthy start for your family. This programme includes immunisations, development checks, baby clinics and health promotion advice.
They also work with other agencies such as Children’s Centres, voluntary and community groups and social care services to provide ongoing support for families with more complex issues.
The Health Visitor team can be accessed directly by telephone on 01865 903077 Monday to Friday 9-5pm or through your GP.
Child drop in clinics which are open to all are held all over the city. These run at the following venues:
- Monday – Jericho Health Centre, New Radcliffe House, Walton Street, Oxford OX2 6NW, 10am to 11.30am
- Tuesday – South Parade Clinic, South Parade, Summertown, Oxford OX2 7JN, 11am to 12.30pm
- Tuesday – Grandpont Children’s Centre, Whitehouse Road, Oxford OX1 4QH, 11am to midday
- Wednesday – Elms Road Children’s Centre, Botley, Oxford OX2 9JZ, 1pm to 2.30pm
In addition, there are the following Locality Drop In Clinics with a member of the Health Visiting Team Present
- Tuesday – Temple Cowley Health Centre OX4 2HL ,1pm to 2pm
- Wednesday – East Oxford Health Centre ,Clinic Room, Level 3 OX4 1XD, 11am to midday
- Wednesday – The Maple Tree Centre, Whetley OX33 1PN- 9.30am to 11am
- Thursday – Barton Children & Families Centre ,Headington OX3 8DD, 10.30am to midday
- Thursday – The Leyes Health Centre, OX4 7EX – 11am to 1pm
- Thursday – East Oxford Health Centre ,Clinic Room, Level 3 OX4 1XD, 1pm to 2.30pm
- Friday – The Slade Nursery ,Headington OX3 8QQ, 11am to midday
They work with the GP team and are employed by the NHS through Oxfordshire PCT.